|FLSA Designation: Non-Exempt
STREET MAINTENANCE WORKER II
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under general supervision of the Streets Supervisor, performs semi-skilled and skilled work in the construction, maintenance, repair, and cleaning of City streets, curbs, gutters, storm drains, rights-of-way and related structures; operates and maintains a variety of hand and power tools and equipment; and performs other related duties as required.
This is the full journey level class within the Street Maintenance Worker series. Employees within this class are distinguished from the Street Maintenance Worker I by the performance of the full range of duties as assigned including the more complex operation and maintenance duties, operating a variety of equipment, and providing training to less experienced Street Maintenance Workers. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. Work is normally reviewed only on completion and for overall results. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are generally filled by advancement from the Street Maintenance Worker I level, or when filled from the outside, require prior experience. Advancement to the “II” level is based on management judgment and/or certification or testing that validates the performance of the full range of job duties. This classification is distinguished from the next higher classification of Senior Street Maintenance Worker which provides lead direction to assigned crews.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Repairs street surfaces by cutting or removing loose materials, hand sweeping, and spraying tack coats; identifies and repairs pot holes; dumps, spreads, shovels, rakes, tamps, and rolls asphalt for street patching and resurfacing, crack sealing, thermoplastic overlays, and slurry seals.
- Repairs or replaces cracked, raised, sunken or otherwise damaged sidewalks, curbs and gutters; performs concrete work including removal of old surface material as well as pouring, forming and finishing of concrete.
- Breaks and removes concrete using jack hammers, pavement breakers, and other hand and power tools; digs, shovels, hauls, loads and unloads materials; cleans up work sites upon completion of jobs.
- Operates a variety of construction and maintenance equipment and power tools such as dump trucks, front-end loader, backhoe, grader, tractors, compressor, jack hammer, and concrete saw; maintains hand tools and assigned equipment; performs preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Operates a paint striper or spray gun in painting line markings on pavement including street lines and crosswalks; installs guard rails, traffic markers, delineators, and reflectors.
- Conducts traffic control when working in high traffic areas of the City; installs street barricades and cones prior to the performance of maintenance or repair activities; directs and controls traffic around work sites.
- Prepares, installs, and replaces, City sign posts and signs; fabricates new signs; cleans and maintains existing signs; trims trees in compliance with line of sight clearance for street signs.
- Maintains city right-of-ways; mows and trims weeds; applies pesticides as necessary.
- Responds to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provides information within the area of assignment including explaining street maintenance procedures; resolves complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of written records and reports.
- Attends training and safety meetings as necessary.
- Performs after-hours emergency work and on-call duties on a rotating basis.
- Performs related duties as required.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
Operations, services, and activities of a street maintenance program.
Practices, techniques and materials used in maintenance, construction, mechanics and repair of streets, lighting, traffic signs and markings.
Practices and procedures used in weed abatement.
Methods and techniques of concrete finishing and repair.
Methods and techniques of street maintenance repair, and asphalt overlay.
Operations and maintenance of a wide variety of hand and power tools and equipment.
Principles and practices of sign fabrication.
Practices and procedures of traffic control including proper placement of cones, barricades and warning devices.
Safety requirements for operation of trucks and other equipment.
Basic principles and practices of record keeping.
Occupational hazards and standard safety procedures.
Perform a variety of maintenance, construction, and repair work of streets, gutters, sidewalks, storm drains and related facilities.
Ensure safety around work areas in high traffic.
Perform a variety of tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions.
Operate a variety of maintenance equipment and tools including heavy and light power driven equipment and hand tools in a safe and effective manner.
Perform asphalt and concrete work.
Work with paints and prepare surfaces for painting.
Perform heavy manual labor.
Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Apply pesticide treatments in a safe manner.
Read and interpret drawings and blueprints.
Safely and effectively operate a variety of maintenance equipment, tools and materials.
Set up a safe work site including cones, signs and directing traffic.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines - Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Two years of experience in the construction and maintenance of streets and public facilities comparable to a Street Maintenance Worker I with the City of Brentwood.
License or Certificate:
Possession of and ability to maintain a valid Class A California driver’s license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Outdoor field environment; travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, gases, mechanical and electrical hazards, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces and rough terrain; work at heights; incumbents may be required to respond to emergency and public calls after hours including evenings and weekends.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a field environment; to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; to climb unusual heights on ladders; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight; to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.