|FLSA Designation: Non-Exempt
Established: February, 2005
Formerly Senior Landscape/Facilities Worker
Revised COB: July 1, 2010
SENIOR PARK/MAINTENANCE WORKER
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under direction, of assigned supervisory or management staff, leads, oversees, reviews, and participates in the more complex and difficult work of staff responsible for performing a variety of semi-skilled and skilled duties in the maintenance, repair and/or renovation of parks, landscaped areas, street medians,; inspects the work of outside contractors performing maintenance work and reports to higher level personnel; oversees and participates in performing plumbing, carpentry, electrical, remodeling, painting, and a variety of other related craft work as assigned; ensures work quality and adherence to established policies and procedures; operates a variety of maintenance equipment including tractors, loaders, mowers, wood chippers and related maintenance vehicles; operates a variety of hand, power, and shop tools; trains lower level maintenance staff; and performs other related duties as required.
This is the advanced journey level class in the Park/Maintenance Worker series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the level of responsibility assumed and the complexity of duties assigned. Employees perform the most difficult and responsible types of duties assigned to classes within this series including providing lead supervision to assigned staff. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Leads, plans, trains, and reviews the work of staff responsible for the maintenance, repair, and/or renovation of parks, landscaped areas, and street medians; develops and implements crew assignments; assists maintenance staff in troubleshooting and performing the more complex maintenance and repair activities.
- Trains assigned employees in their areas of work including park maintenance methods, procedures, and techniques; identifies training opportunities and needs; makes recommendations to Supervisor as necessary.
- Supervises the use, care and operation of park maintenance equipment including hand and power tools.
- Verifies the work of assigned employees for accuracy, proper work methods, techniques and compliance with applicable standards and specifications; ensures adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
- Operates a variety of maintenance equipment including power and hand tools; performs preventive maintenance and light repairs on equipment.
- Performs inventory control of maintenance equipment and supplies; assists in the purchase of equipment and supplies as necessary
- Provides courteous customer service; responds to questions and inquiries from City staff and the general public regarding various maintenance projects; resolves customer problems or complaints and works with staff from school districts related to maintenance of joint use facilities as required.
- Performs or inspects the work of contractors performing the maintenance, repair, construction and installation work in parks, landscapes, street median, weed abatement, janitorial, tree work, water features and other facilities; ensures work is performed in accordance with contractual agreements and City standards.
- Oversees and participates in performing a variety of duties related to the maintenance and care of assigned sports fields; prepares fields; installs bases; chalks base path lines; rakes low spots; picks up litter and blows dugouts; cleans bleachers.
- Oversees the operation and maintenance of simple water park features and drinking faucets. Oversees and participates in performing routine maintenance and repair activities for park facilities; inspects and repairs playground apparatus including sealing and adding additional surfacing; checks and cleans restrooms; stocks materials and supplies as necessary; and inspects, repairs, and replaces park signs and entry monument signs in residential subdivisions.
- Inspects assigned areas; corrects and/or reports safety hazards, vandalism; reports graffiti; paints and repairs park furnishings; performs general grounds cleaning; cleans and maintains assigned areas; inspects, repairs, and replaces free standing awnings and shade coverings citywide; picks up and discards trash and litter; and oversees maintenance of city-owned public art.
- Oversees and participates in performing special park maintenance duties as assigned; sets up parks for special events; takes down equipment and cleans up after events.
- Performs, coordinates, and monitors the installation, design and operation of irrigation and sprinkler systems; operates and monitors controllers, the City’s computerized irrigation system and related components; monitors and adjusts irrigation schedules as appropriate; ensures efficient system operation; reviews plans and makes recommendations for irrigation systems, signs, lights, gutters, and sidewalks for new construction or park modification.
- Oversees and inspects contractors related to: mowing, trimming, edging, fertilizing and irrigation, medians and other landscaped areas; weeds, prunes, mulches, fertilizes and sprays trees, plants and shrubbery; prepares soil for planting; seeds and resods lawn areas; plants trees, seedlings and shrubs; performs weed control, shrub planting and trimming, routine irrigation systems installation and maintenance; mixes and applies herbicides, fungicides and pesticides in a safe manner.
- Observes safe work methods and uses safety equipment; sets traffic controls, secures worksites from traffic hazards as necessary; inspects, repairs, replaces and services portable fire extinguishers including those in City kitchens and/or concession stands; and performs preventative maintenance measures as appropriate.
- Oversees and participates in performing a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance, repair, and minor construction work of City parks; performs and assist in park maintenance tasks involving plumbing, carpentry, electrical, remodeling, painting, and a variety of other craft work; troubleshoots various electrical problems in parks.
- Oversees and participates in maintaining internal and external facility lighting fixtures including replacement of ballast, light bulbs and fluorescent tubes as necessary.
- Oversees and participates in performing a variety of carpentry duties; assembles a variety of office furniture including large bookcases, chairs and tables; moves and relocates office furniture; installs and/or makes adjustment to desks, chairs, files, and keyboard trays.
- Oversees and participates installing, repairing, and maintaining a variety of plumbing fixtures and fittings including sinks, toilets, faucets and related equipment in parks.
- Troubleshoots various electrical problems in parks. Performs pest extermination and removal duties as necessary.
- Oversees and participates moving and arranging furniture and equipment as assigned, including set-up and take down of furniture and facilities for special events and meetings.
- Responds to park emergencies. Performs special projects as required; installs, repairs, and maintains pictures, decorations, banners, and flags as necessary.
- Maintains cleanliness of assigned work areas and facilities.
- Attends training and safety meetings as necessary.
- Performs related duties as required.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
Operations, services, and activities of a park maintenance program.
Principles of lead supervision and training.
Advanced practices, techniques, materials and equipment used in maintenance, construction and repair of parks, recreation fields, street medians, and landscaped areas.
Advanced materials, methods, terminology, and tools used in the maintenance, repair, and construction of building structures and systems including those used in performing rough and finished carpentry, plumbing, electrical, remodeling, painting, and a variety of other craft work as related to parks.
Operational characteristics of tools and equipment used in assigned maintenance activities.
Proper procedures used in the maintenance and repair of hand and power tools.
Advanced principles and practices of propagating and maintaining trees, shrubs, flowers and turf.
Irrigation system installation, maintenance and repair.
Tools, techniques and procedures of tree trimming.
Practices and procedures used in weed abatement.
Occupational hazards and standard safety procedures.
Advanced techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in park maintenance and repair.
Minor service and maintenance of trucks and equipment.
Pesticide and herbicide application, laws and methods.
General ADA standards.
Inventory tracking and control.
Basic report preparation.
Principles and practices of record keeping.
Pertinent federal, state, and local codes, laws, and regulations.
Lead, organize, and review the work of staff.
Interpret, explain, and enforce department policies and procedures.
Oversee and participate in performing semi-skilled and skilled park maintenance work.
Perform and inspect the work of contractors performing maintenance, repair and construction on parks, recreation fields, street medians, landscaped areas, janitorial and other areas.
Perform maintenance, repair and installation of office furniture.
Operate a variety of maintenance tools and equipment related to area of assignment.
Plant, propagate and maintain trees, shrubs, flowers and turf.
Perform heavy manual labor.
Drive and operate motorized landscape equipment.
Organize, coordinate and assign tasks to meet project and maintenance deadlines.
Maintain and repair irrigation systems and related components.
Maintain accurate records and produce reports and documentation.
Follow instructions and properly apply herbicides and pesticides in accordance with the written procedures and legal mandates.
Ensure that safety procedures are properly followed including those related to traffic control.
Safely and effectively operate a variety of maintenance equipment, tools and materials.
Respond to public inquiries and requests.
Read and interpret plans and diagrams.
Estimate necessary materials and equipment to complete assignments.
Ensure adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
Work independently in the absence of supervision.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines - Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Three years of experience in the maintenance and repair of parks, landscaped areas, street medians and janitorial at a level comparable to a Park/Maintenance Worker II with the City of Brentwood.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate driver’s license.
A Qualified Applicators Certificate issued by the California Department of Pesticide Regulation may be required for some positions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Indoor and outdoor field environment; travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, solvents, toxic agents,/chemicals, gases, electrical currents, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces and rough terrain; work at heights; incumbents may be required to respond to emergency and public calls after hours including evenings and weekends.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; to climb unusual heights on ladders; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight; to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.