|FLSA Designation: Non-Exempt
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under general supervision of the Public Works Director, performs a variety of duties in support of the City’s purchasing, warehousing, and inventory control functions including ordering, receiving, stocking, organizing, distributing, and maintaining an adequate inventory of materials, supplies, parts, tools, and equipment for use by City departments.
The Purchasing Assistant is a single position class primarily responsible for ordering, receiving, inventorying, and distributing supplies and materials for assigned City departments, divisions, and functions. An incumbent may provide purchasing related services in other areas of City operation as directed. This classification is distinguished from the Purchasing Manager in that the latter is responsible for the more complex purchasing activities and exercises overall responsibility for the City’s purchasing program.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
- Performs a full range of duties required to order, receive, store, maintain, and distribute materials, supplies, equipment, and tools for assigned City departments, divisions, and functions.
- Orders goods and materials as assigned; contacts vendors to obtain goods and materials necessary to maintain inventories and for special projects; obtains bids when necessary.
- Receives incoming shipments and deliveries; inspects freight, packages, materials, and equipment for quality, quantity and correctness; verifies and checks items received against purchase orders and returns defective or warranty related materials to vendor.
- Utilizes CMMS to perform data entry, track inventory, and to purchase and receive materials.
- Operates powered trucks and other light equipment in the receiving and distribution of materials; unloads incoming freight with powered industrial truck.
- Distributes and issues parts and materials to crews for daily scheduled work.
- Picks-up parts for crews involved in emergency repairs; delivers parts to crews at sites as necessary.
- Performs a variety of shipping duties; prepares and coordinates the shipment of goods and returns with carrier.
- Maintains warehouse in a clean and organized manner.
- May train and certify personnel on the operation of power industrial trucks.
- Performs related duties as required.
Practices and principles of public agency purchasing including competitive bidding procedures.
Materials, supplies, equipment, and tools used in the construction and repair of streets, sewer, water systems, and solid waste programs.
Methods and techniques of stock and inventory control including requisitioning, receiving, storing and distributing principles and practices.
Methods and techniques for developing and evaluating specifications.
Principles and procedures of record keeping and filing systems.
Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
Principles and procedures of record keeping and filing.
Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
Read and interpret purchase requisitions and specifications.
Analyze bids for consistency with specification requirements.
Evaluate quality and price of products to judge suitability of goods and alternatives offered.
Maintain accurate inventories and related records.
Exercise sound independent judgment within general guidelines.
Operate office equipment including computer and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
Use and operate forklifts, light duty vehicles, and a variety of power and hand tools required for the work in a safe and efficient manner.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines - Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Two years of increasingly responsible experience in purchasing a variety of supplies, materials, services, and equipment.
License or Certificate:
Possession of an appropriate valid driver’s license
Possession of, or ability to obtain, Powered Industrial Truck Certification.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, Powered Industrial Truck Trainer Permit.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in a warehouse environment with some occasional travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, gases, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces and ladders/scaffolds.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a warehouse setting; to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally bend, kneel, climb, reach; to push, pull, lift, and/or carry moderate to heavy amounts of weights; operate assigned equipment and vehicles; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.