City of Brentwood
Home PageContact Us!Back

City of Brentwood - City Attorney - FAQ's City of Brentwood - City Attorney - FAQ's
Home City Attorney FAQ's
City Attorney FAQ's
What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?
The City Attorney is appointed by the City of Brentwood City Council. The attorneys in the City Attorney's Office provide legal advice and services to the City Council, and its boards and commissions, and city officers and employees in the course and scope of their employment or official duties. The District Attorney is an elected County official who investigates and prosecutes criminal activities throughout Contra Costa County. The District Attorney's office can be reached at (925) 957-2200 or by email

Can you recommend a lawyer?
If you are in need of a lawyer, you may contact the Lawyer Referral Service sponsored by the Contra Costa Bar Association at (925) 825-5700 or online at You may also contact the Bay Area Legal Aid, Contra Costa County at (510) 250-5270 or (925) 219-3325

If you are a senior citizen in need of legal services, you may contact the Senior Legal Hotline at (800) 222-1753 or online  You may also contact Contra Costa Legal Assistance for the Elderly at (510) 374-3713.

Can I obtain personal legal advice from the City Attorney's Office?
No. The City Attorney is legally prohibited from representing individuals in private legal matters. The City Attorney's Office only represents City officials, departments, agencies and employees in the course of their official acts or business.

Who does the City Attorney work for?
The City Attorney is directly appointed by the City Council. The City Attorney also provides legal advice and support for all City officers and employees related to their acts which are within the course and scope of their employment or official duties.

Where do I serve subpoenas or other legal documents?
The City Clerk is the Agent for Service of Process for the City of Brentwood. Please contact the City Clerk's Office, 150 City Park Way, Brentwood, CA 94513 (925) 516-5440.

Quick Links
Contact City Departments

Location of City Hall

History of Brentwood
City Council
Municipal Code

Other Resources

California Courts Online Self-Help Center
State Bar of California Publications
CCC Lawyer Referral Service
Office of the City Attorney       (925) 516-5320
150 City Park Way       (925) 516-5311
Brentwood, CA 94513