2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
|CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 18
Meeting Date: August 26, 2008
Subject/Title: Adopt a Resolution approving Council Policy 110-03 Presentation Materials, establishing guidelines for third party presentations at City Council and board and commission meetings.
Prepared by: Margaret Wimberly, City Clerk
Submitted by: Karen Chew, Assistant City Manager
Adopt a Resolution approving Council Policy 110-03 Presentation Materials, establishing guidelines for third party presentations at City Council and board and commission meetings.
At the City Council meeting of August 12, 2008, Council Member Becnel requested language be added to clarify that the policy is not meant to limit presentations from the public under the public comment portion of the agenda.
There currently exists an informal policy regarding the submittal of presentation materials at Council meetings. The informal policy required that materials from consultants and outside parties be submitted at least 24 hours prior to the Council or board or commission meeting, that the Department Director review the material, and that the material be provided to the City Clerk. Staff felt it was important to formalize the policy through Council adoption. The attached draft policy document summarizes timelines and various types of media submitted by a third party for presentation at a City Council or a board and commission meeting.
Receiving materials in advance of the meetings also allows staff to ensure that the materials are compatible with the City’s equipment and in addition cuts down on delays during the meeting and allows meeting to progress smoothly. The adoption of the policy will ensure that all presentation and materials presented to Council are handled in a consistent manner.
There is no fiscal impact associated with this item.
Draft Policy 110-03
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD ADOPTING COUNCIL POLICY 110-03 ESTABLISHING GUIDELINES FOR THIRD PARTY PRESENTATIONS AT CITY COUNCIL AND BOARD AND COMMISSION MEETINGS
WHEREAS, it is necessary to receive advance notification of presentations to ensure that materials are compatible with equipment and software in the Council Chambers, and
WHEREAS, there have been informal procedures in place for the submission of materials by a third party to be presented at a City Council or board and commission meeting and this policy will formalize those procedures; and
WHEREAS, the policy establishes guidelines and timelines for the submission of materials by a third party and addresses the various types of media submitted for presentation at a City Council or board or commission meeting; and
WHEREAS, receiving the materials in advance will allow meetings to progress smoothly and ensure that presentations are presented in a consistent manner.
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Brentwood does hereby adopt Council Policy 110-03 establishing guidelines for third party presentations at City Council and Board and Commission meetings.
PASSED, APPROVED AND ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood at a regular meeting held on the 26th Day of August 2008 by the following vote:
The purpose of this procedure is to establish guidelines for third party presentations at City Council and board and commission meetings. The policy summarizes timelines and addresses the various types of media submitted. Advance notification of presentations and proper use of the City’s equipment will allow meetings to progress smoothly and ensure that Council meeting presentations are presented in a consistent manner.
This policy applies to consultants, applicants and to members of the public making a presentation to the City Council and boards and commissions using any audio/visual equipment for an agenda item presentation during a public meeting. City staff members responsible for the City Council agenda item are responsible for obtaining the required materials from consultants and other non-City staff at least one business day (24 hours) in advance. City staff shall then provide the materials to the City Clerk. City staff is also responsible for ensuring the materials have been reviewed by their Department Director. Members of the public wishing to make an audio/visual presentation on an agenda item must submit their item to the City Clerk’s office at least 24 hours prior to the start of the Council meeting.
This policy does not apply to items submitted under the Public Comment portion of the agenda, or any item that may be placed on the overhead document camera.
• Presentations from Members of the public shall comply with the time limits set by the Mayor, with the concurrence of the City Council, for public comments.
• All outside presentation materials shall be submitted at least one business day (24 hours) in advance to the staff presenting the agenda item.
• VHS/DVD videos can be played on the City’s equipment. The video must be queued at the starting point where the speaker will begin.
• Staff will preview the quality of tape and will notify appropriate individual(s) immediately if the video is not compatible with the City’s system.
• PowerPoint files must be loaded onto the City’s internal computer drive prior to the start of the Council meeting.
• Staff should be advised if the presentation contains any audio or animation.
• Photographs/documents may be shown using an overhead camera.
• City Clerk staff shall be advised of any photograph/document to be used prior to the start of the City Council meeting.
• For maps and large freestanding displays, presenters should bring their own easels and inform City Clerk staff prior to the start of the meeting. The City Clerk should be advised at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the meeting if assistance will be required.
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441