2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
|CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 12
Meeting Date: July 22, 2008
Subject/Title: Adopt a resolution approving and authorizing the City Manager to execute a Memorandum of Understanding (“MOU”) between the City and the Brentwood Police Lieutenants employee group for Fiscal Years 2008/09 – 2011/12, effective July 1, 2008, and amending the 2008/09 Operating Budget
Prepared by: Karen L. Chew, Assistant City Manager
Submitted by: Donna Landeros, City Manager
Adopt a resolution approving and authorizing the City Manager to execute a Memorandum of Understanding (“MOU”) between the City and the Brentwood Police Lieutenants employee group for Fiscal Years 2008/09 – 2011/12, effective July 1, 2008, and amending the 2008/09 Operating Budget.
On May 27, 2003, City Council adopted Resolution 2877 approving the 2003 – 2008 Compensation Plan and benefits adjustments for the Police Lieutenants.
On June 26, 2007 the City Council approved Resolution No. 2007-150 adopting the 2007/08-2008/09 Operating Budget for the City of Brentwood.
On June 24, 2008 the City Council approved Resolution No. 2008-167 amending the 2008/09 Operating Budget for the City of Brentwood.
Meet and confer discussions between the Assistant City Manager and the Police Lieutenant representative occurred during the month of June 2008. The Assistant City Manager and Police Lieutenants are pleased to present the Council with a four-year labor proposal. The revised MOU incorporates updated/clarifying language related to no-cost items. Additionally, the following highlighted major items are addressed in the MOU document that is attached to the resolution as Exhibit A:
1. The contract commences July 1, 2008 and ends June 30, 2012.
2. Provides annual cost of living adjustments based on 85th percentile survey of survey cities adopted by the City Council based on the Police Officer benchmark classification, effective each July.
3. Effective July 1, 2010 – the educational incentive will change from set dollar allowances to the following percentages: AA Degree/POST Intermediate Certificate 2.5% of base pay; BS/BA Degree or POST Advanced Certificate 5% of base pay; Masters Degree 7.5% of base pay. Only one level of educational incentive shall be provided per employee.
This four-year agreement initially maintains Brentwood’s competitive pay and benefits package then, in year three, provides enhanced pay for educational incentive to encourage individual and professional growth.
Staff requests an amendment to the 2008/09 Operating Budget as the costs associated with the amended compensation plan equals an increase of $20,670 to the general fund. Staff is requesting a budget amendment to the 2008/09 operating budget in the amount of $20,670 to cover the increased personnel costs.
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD APPROVING AND AUTHORIZING THE CITY MANAGER TO EXECUTE A MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (“MOU”) BETWEEN THE CITY AND THE BRENTWOOD POLICE LIEUTENANTS EMPLOYEE GROUP FOR FISCAL YEARS 2008/09 – 2011/12, EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2008, AND AMENDING THE 2008/09 OPERATING BUDGET.
WHEREAS, the Assistant City Manager met with the Police Lieutenant representative and conferred in good faith regarding wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment, and
WHEREAS, the Memorandum of Understanding is entered into pursuant to the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act (California Government Code Sections 3500-3510) and has been jointly prepared by the aforementioned entities, and
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Brentwood does hereby:
1) Approve and authorize the City Manager to execute a Memorandum of Understanding with the Brentwood Police Lieutenants employee group for fiscal years 2008/2009 – 2011/12, a copy of which is attached as Exhibit A, and authorize the terms and conditions therein to be implemented effective July 1, 2008.
2) Approve an amendment to the 2008/09 Operating Budget in the amount of $20,670 in the General Fund for increased personnel costs.
PASSED, APPROVED AND ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood at a regular meeting held on July 22, 2008, by the following vote:
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441