2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
|CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 10
Meeting Date: July 22, 2008
Subject/Title: Adopt a resolution approving and authorizing the City Manager to execute a Memorandum of Understanding (“MOU”) between the City and the Brentwood Police Officer’s Association (“BPOA”) for Fiscal Years 2008/09 through 2011/12, effective July 1, 2008, and amending the 2008/09 Operating Budget
Prepared by: Karen L. Chew, Assistant City Manager
Submitted by: Donna Landeros, City Manager
Adopt a resolution approving and authorizing the City Manager to execute a Memorandum of Understanding (“MOU”) between the City of Brentwood and the Brentwood Police Officer’s Association (“BPOA”) for fiscal years 2008/09 through 2011/12, effective July 1, 2008, and amending the 2008/09 Operating Budget.
On June 10, 2003, City Council adopted Resolution 2885 approving the 2003 – 2008 Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Brentwood and the Brentwood Police Officer’s Association.
On June 26, 2007 the City Council approved Resolution No. 2007-150 adopting the 2007/08-2008/09 Operating Budget for the City of Brentwood.
On June 24, 2008 the City Council approved Resolution No. 2008-167 amending the 2008/09 Operating Budget for the City of Brentwood.
Meet and confer sessions between Management Staff and the BPOA, began March 3, 2008 and continued into June 2008. Staff and the employee representatives are pleased to present the Council with a four-year labor proposal. The revised MOU incorporates updated/clarifying language related to no-cost items in several sections. Additionally, the following information highlights the major items addressed in the revised MOU:
1. The contract commences July 1, 2008 and ends June 30, 2012.
2. Provides annual cost of living adjustments based on 85th percentile survey of survey cities adopted by the City Council based on benchmark classifications, effective each July.
3. Reopen negotiations January 2, 2010 to meet and confer on the limited issue of reviewing the survey jurisdictions. Bargaining on the issue shall be completed, including impasse resolution, no later than June 15, 2010.
4. Effective July 1, 2010 – the educational incentive will change from set dollar allowances to the following percentages: AA Degree/POST Intermediate Certificate 2.5% of base pay; BS/BA Degree or POST Advanced Certificate 5% of base pay; Masters Degree 7.5% of base pay. Only one level of educational incentive shall be provided per employee.
5. Effective July 1, 2011 - a shift differential of three percent (3%) of base salary will be established for all members of the bargaining unit when regularly assigned hours are worked, other than overtime, between 2100 and 0700 the following day for swing shift and graveyard shift.
This four-year agreement initially maintains Brentwood’s competitive pay and benefits package then, in year three, provides enhanced pay for educational incentive to encourage individual and professional growth. Finally, in year four, the shift differential will provide compensation in recognition of the demands that result when staff works non-traditional hours.
Staff requests an amendment to the 2008/09 Operating Budget as the costs associated with the MOU between the City and the BPOA equals an increase of $219,420 to the general fund. The fiscal impact of the remaining years of the MOU will vary based upon the findings of the 85th percentile salary adjustments. Additional costs of new or enhanced pay types such as the educational incentive will depend on the salary level at the time. Staff is requesting a budget amendment to the 2008/09 operating budget in the amount of $219,420 to cover the increased personnel costs.
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD APPROVING AND AUTHORIZING THE CITY MANAGER TO EXECUTE A MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (“MOU”) BETWEEN THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD AND THE BRENTWOOD POLICE OFFICER’S ASSOCIATION (“BPOA”) FOR FISCAL YEARS 2008/09 THROUGH 2011/12, EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2008, AND AMENDING THE 2008/09 OPERATING BUDGET.
WHEREAS, from March through June 2008, the Brentwood Police Officer’s Association met with the City Negotiations Team and conferred in good faith regarding wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment, and
WHEREAS, the Memorandum of Understanding is entered into pursuant to the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act (California Government Code Sections 3500-3510) and has been jointly prepared by the aforementioned entities, and
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Brentwood does hereby:
1) Approve and authorize the City Manager to execute a Memorandum of Understanding with the Brentwood Police Officer’s Association for fiscal years 2008/2009 – 2011/2012, a copy of which is attached as Exhibit A, and authorize the terms and conditions therein to be implemented effective July 1, 2008.
2) Approve an amendment to the 2008/09 Operating Budget in the amount of $219,420 in the General Fund for increased personnel costs.
PASSED, APPROVED AND ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood at a regular meeting held on July 22, 2008, by the following vote:
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441