2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 21
Meeting Date: June 10, 2003
Subject/Title: Appeal of the Planning Commission’s Condition of Approval on Design Review No. 02-06 requiring concrete tile roof material for Garin Landing’s Townhouse and Cluster Home Products, located north of Balfour Road and east of Brentwood Boulevard.
Submitted By: Community Development (M. Oshinsky/J. Zilm)
Approved By: John Stevenson, City Manager
Joseph Zawidski, on behalf of Signature Properties, has appealed the Planning Commission’s condition of approval requiring the substitution of concrete tile roof material for the applicant proposed 30-year asphalt composition shingle roof material. The appeal is being made on the basis that these units are intended to be moderate priced homes and tile roof material will raise the cost of the homes and make them more difficult for the buyers to afford.
The Planning Commission regularly requires the use of concrete roof tile throughout the City because of its superior durability to asphalt composition shingles and its high quality and lasting aesthetic appearance. The Planning Commission’s action on the roof material for these two products is consistent with the design review approvals for past residential developments. In the past, the Planning Commission has received testimony from roofing contractors that the cost of available concrete tile roof material is comparable with composition shingle material and the new lighter-weight concrete tile does not require additional structural support. In addition, the Planning Commission’s primary focus on reviewing proposed project design is not the cost of different materials. Instead, the Commission focuses on the design issue of whether materials proposed are harmonious and compatible with adjacent development and will enhance the aesthetic appearance of the City. Signature’s single-family development to the east has tile roofs, however Signature’s development to the north has 30-year composition shingle roofs.
Staff contacted local roofing companies to determine the cost of the different roofing material and was told that composition shingle roof material rated for 50 years of wear is compatible in cost to concrete tile roof material. The applicant is proposing a 30-year rated roof consequently there is a cost difference between the 30-year roof and a concrete tile roof.
Should the City Council elect to approve the appeal, staff will return with a resolution at the next Council meeting memorializing the Council’s action.
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD UPHOLDING THE PLANNING COMMISSION’S CONDITION OF APPROVAL REQUIRING THE INSTALLATION OF CONCRETE TILE ROOF MATERIAL AND DENYING THE APPEAL OF CONDITION NO. 42 FOR DESIGN REVIEW NO. 02-06, GARIN RANCH MIXED USE PROJECT LOCATED NORTH OF BALFOUR ROAD AND EAST OF BRENTWOOD BOULEVARD.
WHEREAS, on May 6, 2003 the Planning Commission conducted a noticed public hearing and considered all written and oral testimony, and approved via Resolution No. 03-22 a Design Review and Tentative Subdivision Map to allow development of Garin Ranch Mixed Use Project, a 105 Townhouse and 64 single-family Cluster Home development on approximately 13 acres north of Balfour Road and east of Brentwood Boulevard; and
WHEREAS, on May 15, 2003, an appeal of the Planning Commission’s condition of approval for DR 02-06 requiring installation of concrete roof tile was filed; and
WHEREAS, a Notice of Public Hearing for this appeal was distributed to all property owners of record within 300 feet of the project site and published in the Ledger-Dispatch on May 30, 2003, in accordance with City policies and Government Code Section 65090; and
WHEREAS, on June 10, 2003 the City Council held a noticed public hearing and considered the staff report, and all oral and written testimony presented; and
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Brentwood does hereby uphold the Planning Commission’s Condition of Approval No. 42 requiring installation of concrete roof tile in accordance with Planning Commission Resolution No. 03-22 and denies the appeal, by making the following findings:
1. The installation of concrete roof material as conditioned, will be compatible with and will not adversely affect abutting properties and the surrounding neighborhoods in that it will be a comparable quality and design as the most widely used roofing material in the Garin Ranch development; and
2. The installation of concrete roof material will help this proposed Townhouse and Cluster Home project create a well composed urban design, harmoniously related to other single-family homes in the immediate area; and
3. The installation of concrete roof tile shall provide a quality and character appropriate to and serving to protect the value of private and public investment in the immediate area; and
4. The use of concrete roof tile is regularly required by the City for new residential single-family and multi-family developments, whether the developments are market rate or affordable.
5. The proposed design plans are in conformance with the design criteria and site development criteria in Chapter 17.820 of the Zoning Ordinance because the Garin Ranch Mixed Use Project, as conditioned, will provide for a high quality mixed use development consistent with policies relating to roof material, setbacks, landscaping, architectural style, and other design standards.
6. The proposed architectural design, colors, building and roof materials, fencing, landscaping, and related improvements, as conditioned, are compatible with the existing abutting Garin Ranch homes because the proposed roof material is of a material implementing a unified theme and character linking these two different developments together within Garin Ranch.
PASSED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood at its regular meeting on the 10th of June, 2003, by the following vote:
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441