2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 11
Meeting Date: May 27, 2003
Subject/Title: Submittal of two grant proposals to the State Department of Transportation (Caltrans) for the 2003/04 Safe Routes to School (SR2S) Program, Fourth Cycle
Submitted by: Finance: P. Ehler/K.
Approved by: John Stevenson, City Manager
There are six general categories for SR2S projects which include sidewalk improvements, traffic calming and speed reduction, pedestrian/bicycle crossing improvements, on- and off-street bicycle facilities and traffic diversion improvements. The two projects that are proposed for application to the 2003/04 SR2S program are in the sidewalk and pedestrian/bicycle crossing improvements and traffic diversion improvements, and were selected after meeting with the Superintendent of Brentwood Union School District. They are:
1. Construction of an additional drop-off / pick-up area at Ron Nunn School by creating a loop road around the school site.
2. Construction of curb, gutter and sidewalk on the east side of Minnesota Avenue, north of Deer Creek Channel to Randy Way, and installation of flashing beacon with lighted crosswalk at the existing crosswalk to Bristow School.
The second project, to construct a sidewalk, curb and gutter on the east side of Minnesota Avenue and installation of a flashing beacon with lighted crosswalk at the existing crosswalk has an estimated project cost of $215,000. The required match for this project is $21,500 and is available from Roadway Facility Fees.
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD APPROVING THE APPLICATION FOR GRANT FUNDS FROM THE SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL PROGRAM FOR TWO PROJECTS
WHEREAS, the Safe Routes to School Program was established in 1999 as a result of passage and signing of Assembly Bill 1475 to provide funds for improvement and enhancement of the safety of pedestrian and bicycle facilities and related infrastructure; and
WHEREAS, in 2001, the Legislature of the State of California enacted Senate Bill 10, which extended the program for an additional three years, to 2005; and
WHEREAS, the Safe Routes to School application contains assurances that the applicant must comply with, including a 10% project cost match; and
WHEREAS, the applicant, if selected, will enter into agreements with the State of California to carry out the project(s).
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Brentwood hereby:
1. Approves the filing of an application for the Safe Routes to School Program for grant assistance.
2. Certifies that said applicant will make adequate provisions for operation and maintenance of the project.
3. Certifies that the City will comply with the 10% minimum project match requirement.
4. Appoints the City Engineer
as agent of the City of Brentwood to conduct all negotiations, execute
and submit all documents, including, but not limited to applications,
agreements, amendments, payment requests and so on, which may be necessary
for the completion of the aforementioned project.
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441