2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 6
Meeting Date: April 22, 2003
Subject/Title: Resolution Memorializing City Council Action on an Appeal of the Planning Commission’s Condition of Approval on Design Review No. 02-19 / Conditional Use Permit 03-03 Requiring Concrete Tile Roofs for Sycamore Place II located at 161 Sycamore Avenue.
Submitted by: Community Development (M. Oshinsky / W. Rhodes)
Approved by: John Stevenson, City Manager
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD OVERRIDING THE PLANNING COMMISSION'S ACTION AND APPROVING AN APPEAL BY CHRISTIAN CHURCH HOMES OF A CONDITION OF APPROVAL REQUIRING INSTALLATION OF CONCRETE ROOF TILE FOR DESIGN REVIEW NO. 02-19 (DR 02-19) AND CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT NO. 03-03 (CUP 03-03) FOR THE SYCAMORE PLACE II PROJECT, LOCATED AT 161 SYCAMORE AVENUE (APN 016-160-041).
WHEREAS, on February 18, 2003, the Planning Commission conducted a noticed public hearing and considered all written and oral testimony, and approved via Resolution No. 03-06 a Design Review and a Conditional Use Permit to allow development of Sycamore Place 2, a 40-unit senior apartment development and an accompanying 1,400 square foot community building on an approximately 2.57-acre site at 161 Sycamore Avenue; and
WHEREAS, on February 24, 2003, an appeal of the Planning Commission's condition of approval for DR 02-19 and CUP 03-03 requiring installation of concrete roof tile was filed by Christian Church Homes; and
WHEREAS, a Notice of Public Hearing for this appeal was distributed to all property owners of record within 300 feet of the project site and published in the Brentwood Press on March 14, 2003, in accordance with City policies and Government Code Section 65090; and
WHEREAS, on March 25, 2003 the City Council held a noticed public hearing and considered the staff report, and all oral and written testimony presented; and
WHEREAS, the City Council discussed the roof material proposed by Christian Church Homes and the roof material required as a Planning Commission condition of approval; and
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Brentwood does hereby make the following findings:
1. The installation of composition asphalt shingle roof material will be compatible with and will not adversely affect abutting properties and the surrounding neighborhoods in that it will be of comparable quality and design as the existing roofing material on structures in the immediate vicinity of 161 Sycamore Avenue.
2. The installation of composition asphalt shingle roof material will help the proposed Sycamore Place II development create a well-composed urban design, harmoniously related to other facilities in the immediate area and enhance the total setting as seen from Sycamore Avenue.
3. The installation of composition asphalt shingle roof material will provide sufficient construction quality and character appropriate to, and serving to protect the value of, private and public investment in the immediate area.
4. The installation of composition asphalt shingle roofing material is consistent with the roofing material approved for the adjacent Sycamore Place I.
5. The use of composition asphalt shingle roof material is common within the vicinity of the downtown area and will complement existing development near the project site.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that based upon the above findings, the City Council takes the following actions:
1. Overrides the action of the Planning Commission and approves the appeal.
2. Deletes Condition Of Approval No. 47 of Design Review No. 02-19/Conditional Use Permit No. 03-03 (DR 02-19/CUP 03-03), thereby allowing Christian Church Homes to use composition asphalt shingle roofing material for its project.
PASSED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood at its regular meeting on the 22nd day of April, 2003, by the following vote:
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441