2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
| CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 13
Meeting Date: January 14, 2003
Subject/Title: Rezoning of an approximate 10.3 acre site from Single Family Residential (R-1) to Planned Development Zone 62 (PD-62) and establishing development standards for property generally located north of Central Boulevard and east of Fairview Avenue.
Submitted by: Community Development (Oshinsky/Hill)
Approved by: John Stevenson, City Manager
Introduce and waive the first reading of an ordinance approving the rezone of a 10.3 acre site from R-1 to PD-62 with development standards.
This project was been brought before the RGMP/Housing Subcommittee on July 18, 2002, and subsequently was granted an RGMP allocation by the City Council on August 13, 2002.
The subject property is an unimproved 10.3 acre site formerly owned by the Catholic Church. The property has been purchased by Braddock & Logan to develop a single family residential project at this site. They are requesting a rezone of the property and the adoption of development standards in order to move forward with this project. The R-1 zoning currently in place would not permit the type of development the applicant is seeking without granting numerous variances for setbacks. Thus, the establishment of a planned development zone with the creation of specific development standards which will accommodate this development is preferable. The recommendation to rezone, the tentative subdivision map and the associated design review were approved by the Planning Commission on December 17, 2002. The proposed development standards are consistent with other developments of similar lot sizes in the City and are set forth below:
DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS FOR PD-62
In order to regulate this development and move forward with the project as proposed, the following development standards for PD-62 will need to be adopted as summarized below:
Minimum Lot Area: Five thousand (5,000) square feet
Minimum Front Yard Setback: Twenty (20) feet to the garage, ten (10) feet to any
primary building wall
Minimum Side Yard Setback: Five (5) feet. All corner lots shall maintain a
minimum side yard on the street of ten (10) feet
Minimum Rear Yard Setback: Fifteen (15) feet
Minimum Lot Width: Forty-five (45) feet
Maximum Lot Coverage: Forty (40) percent
Maximum Building Height Limit: Two (2) stories not to exceed thirty (30) feet
These proposed development standards are consistent with development standards previously adopted for similar lot sizes within the City.
ORDINANCE NO. ___
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD APPROVING REZONE 02-06 OF A 10.3 ACRE SITE FROM R-1 (SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENTIAL) TO PLANNED DEVELOPMENT 62 (PD-62) AND ADDING SECTION 17.517 TO THE BRENTWOOD MUNICIPAL CODE WHICH ESTABLISHES DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS FOR PD-62 GENERALLY LOCATED NORTH OF CENTRAL BOULEVARD AND EAST OF FAIRVIEW AVENUE (APN 017-050-027).
WHEREAS, the applicant, Braddock & Logan, has submitted a rezoning application to rezone an approximately 10.3 acre site from R-1 to PD-62 in order to implement a development plan; and
WHEREAS, the applicant has concurrently filed a Tentative Subdivision Map (TSM 8661) to subdivide the property into 45 lots and a Design Review (DR 02-18) for the homes for these lots; and
WHEREAS, on December 17, 2002, the Planning Commission conducted a duly noticed public hearing, considered public comments and passed Resolution No. 02-83 which recommended the approval of the rezone and associated development standards for Planned Development No. 62; and
WHEREAS, an Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration were prepared for this project in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act and were considered as a part of the review and approval process; and
WHEREAS, the Mitigated Negative Declaration identified potentially significant environment effects associated with the proposed project which can be feasibly mitigated or avoided, and these project measures were included in project conditions of approval for this area and will reduce the impacts identified to a less than significant level; and
WHEREAS, a Notice of Public Hearing was legally advertised in the Brentwood Press on December 6, 2002, and mailed to all property owners of record within 300 feet of the subject property according to City policies and Government Code Section 65091; and
WHEREAS, the City Council held a public hearing on the proposed rezoning on January 14, 2003, for the purpose of reviewing the application, considering the Planning Commission's action, and considering all comments made by the public with respect to this proposed zone change; and
WHEREAS, after the close of the public hearing, the City Council considered all public comments received both before and during the public hearing, the presentation by City staff, the staff report, which includes an analysis of the consistency of the proposed project with all other goals and policies of the City and the General Plan, and all other pertinent goals, policies, regulations and documents regarding the proposed zone change; and
WHEREAS, the City Council of the City of Brentwood hereby makes the following supporting findings for this application as required by Section 17.450.007 of the City Zoning Ordinance and State CEQA Guidelines:
1. The site is physically suitable for the type and the density of development proposed.
2. The proposed rezoning is consistent with the existing City General Plan land use designation on the subject property.
3. The proposed rezoning is consistent and compatible with other goals, policies and implementation programs set forth in the General Plan.
4. The proposed rezone has been processed in accordance with the applicable provisions of the California Government Code and the California Environmental Quality Act.
5. That the subject property regulated as a planned development will clearly result in a more desirable use of land, and a better physical environment than would be possible under any single or combination of zones.
6. That the PD designation for the subject property presents a unified and organized arrangement of land uses which are appropriate in relation to adjacent or nearby properties.
7. The rezoning will involve areas which are abutting public streets which will provide physical access to the project site and there is sufficient capacity to accommodate the traffic anticipated to be generated by development and the adjacent uses in the vicinity.
8. On the basis of the whole record before it, there is no substantial evidence that this project will have a significant effect on the environment.
9. The rezoning will provide standards resulting in development that is consistent and compatible with surrounding uses.
10. That the natural and scenic qualities of the site are protected with adequate available public and private open spaces designated on the development plan.
11. That the development of the subject property, in the manner proposed by the applicant, will not be detrimental to the public welfare, will be in the best interests of the City and will be in keeping with the general intent and spirit of the Zoning Ordinance and with the City’s Community Development Plan, including all relevant Elements therefore, and with any applicable Specific Plan adopted by the City.
NOW, THEREFORE, the City Council of the City of Brentwood does hereby ordain as follows:
Section 1. Directs staff to file the Notice of Determination with the County Clerk.
A. Approves the rezoning of 10.3 acres from R-1 (Single Family Residential) to PD-62 (Planned Development 62) for single family residential uses as reflected on Exhibit "A".
B. Directs staff to make the necessary change on the City's official zoning map.
C. Adds Chapter 17.517 to the Brentwood Municipal Code providing development standards for the new PD-62 zoning district as reflected in Exhibit "B", which is attached to and hereby made a part of this ordinance.
A. This Ordinance shall be published in accordance with applicable law, by one or more of the following methods:
1. Posting the entire Ordinance in at least three (3) public places in the City of Brentwood, within fifteen (15) days after its passage and adoption; or
2. Publishing the entire Ordinance at least once in the Ledger-Dispatch, a newspaper of general circulation published in the County of Contra Costa and circulated in the City of Brentwood, within fifteen (15) days after its passage and adoption; or
3. Publishing in the Brentwood Press a summary of the Ordinance prepared by the City Attorney and posting a certified copy of the Ordinance in the Office of the City Clerk at least five (5) days prior to passage and adoption and along with the names of those City Council members voting for and against the Ordinance.
B. This Ordinance shall become effective thirty (30) days after the date of its passage and adoption.
Section 4. In accordance with Government Code Section 65863.5, upon the effective date of this Ordinance, a copy shall be delivered to the County Assessor.
THE FOREGOING ORDINANCE was introduced with the first reading waived at a regular meeting of the Brentwood City Council on the 14th day of January, 2003 and adopted at a regular meeting of Brentwood City Council on the 28th day of January 2003, by the following vote:
CITY COUNCIL ORDINANCE _____
CITYCOUNCIL ORDINANCE ____
PD-62 (PLANNED DEVELOPMENT 62) ZONE
STONEHAVEN (BRADDOCK & LOGAN)
17.517.001 AUTHORITY AND PURPOSE
17.517.002 PERMITTED USES
17.517.003 CONDITIONALLY PERMITTED USES
17.517.004 REGULATIONS FOR LOT AREA, DENSITY YARDS, HEIGHT AND RELATED MATTERS
17.517.005 OTHER REGULATIONS
17.517.001 AUTHORITY AND PURPOSE:
The authority, purpose and intent for the adoption of the PD-62 (Planned Development 62) zone are as follows:
A. Authority: PD-62 is adopted pursuant to the authority set forth in Chapter 17.450, Planned Development Zones, General Regulations of the Brentwood Municipal Code.
B. Purpose: The purpose of the PD-62 zone is to permit and regulate the orderly development of the single family detached homes and public uses in accordance with the Brentwood General Plan.
17.517.002 PERMITTED USES:
Permitted uses in the PD-62 zone are those permitted under the R-1 (Single Family Residential) zone, Section 17.130.002 of the Zoning Ordinance.
17.517.003 CONDITIONALLY PERMITTED USES:
Conditionally permitted uses are those uses identified in Section 17.130.003 of the Zoning Ordinance, which are subject to the granting of a Conditional Use Permit by the City.
17.517.004 REGULATIONS FOR LOT AREA, DENSITY, YARDS, HEIGHT AND RELATED MATTERS:
The following regulations shall apply to the Planned Development zone:
A. Minimum Lot Area: 5,000 square feet
B. Minimum Lot Width: 45 feet
C. Minimum Lot Depth: 85 feet
D. Minimum Lot Frontage: 30 feet
E. Minimum Front Yard: 20 feet to the garage, 10 feet to
any primary building wall
F. Minimum Side Yard: 5 feet. All corner lots shall maintain
a minimum side yard on the street of
G. Minimum Rear Yard: 15 feet
H. Maximum Building Height: 2 stories not to exceed 30 feet
I. Maximum Lot Coverage: 40 percent
17.517.005 OTHER REGULATIONS:
A. Design and Site Development Review shall be required for all housing units pursuant to Sections 17.100.003 and 17.100.004.H.
B. Off-street parking shall be provided pursuant to Chapter 17.620 and Section 17.100.004.H.
C. The parking and storage of boats, trailers and similar vehicles and equipment shall be subject to the provisions of Section 17.620.016.
D. Accessory buildings and structures shall be permitted pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 17.660.
E. Architectural features may project into any required yard pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 17.660.
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441