2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
|CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 20
Meeting Date: November 12, 2002
Subject/Title: Award the Construction Contract for the Second Street Parking Lot, CIP Project No. 336-3135.
Submitted by: Engineering: B. Grewal/S. Peiris
Approved by: John Stevenson, City Manager
Approve a Resolution awarding the Construction Contract for the Second Street Parking Lot, CIP Project No. 336-3135, to Antioch Paving Company, Inc., in the amount of $45,462.50; authorizing the City Manager to execute the agreement and necessary documents and granting the City Manager authority to execute change orders up to 10% of the contract amount.
On May 28, 2002, the City Council approved and adopted the 2002/07 Capital Improvement Program for the City, of which the Second Street Parking Lot, CIP Project No. 336-336-3125, is a part.
As part of the City’s desire to make more parking available around City Hall and the downtown business area, staff is currently exploring and evaluating different alternatives. Just over the last one year, the City has constructed two parking lots in the downtown area, both funded by the Redevelopment Agency, and in a joint effort with Liberty Union High School, expanded their existing parking lot, thus creating a total of over 150 spaces around the downtown area. Continuing the efforts further, staff prepared plans to pave the existing gravel parking lot on Second Street (across from City Park). This will add an additional highly desired 52 parking spaces to the downtown business area, and will reduce parking congestion around City Hall and the downtown area. This is an interim plan and consists of paving 2” thick asphalt concrete over the existing native material. This would provide some immediate relief at a minimal expenditure until a downtown parking garage structure or some other alternative becomes available.
The nature of the proposed parking lot is a continuation of the existing one. Paving the existing lot reduces dust and the tracking of dirt and gravel onto Second Street. It also assures better utilization of the site and reduces downtown parking congestion. The property’s current use as a gravel lot could continue indefinitely, and since the current lot is unsightly and generates dust and erosion, paving the lot will improve its appearance and usefulness and efficiency. The Community Development Director believes it can be approved with a Temporary Use Permit due to its benefit to the community.
The City requested informal bids for this project and the bids were opened on November 1, 2002. The City Received a total of two (2) bids. The bids were reviewed and the lowest responsible bid was received from Antioch Paving Company, Inc., in the amount of $45,462.50.
The two (2) bids received were:
1. Antioch Paving Company, Inc. $ 45,462.50
2. Top Grade Construction, Inc. $ 75,112.00
The cost of this project has been accounted for in the approved CIP Budget 2002-03. While the cost to construct and install the Second Street Parking Lot will be funded by the Redevelopment Agency, the annual operating/maintenance cost is approximately $6,000, and will be funded by the City’s General Fund.
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD AWARDING THE CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT TO ANTIOCH PAVING COMPANY, INC., FOR THE SECOND STREET PARKING LOT, CIP PROJECT NO. 336-3135; GRANTING THE CITY MANAGER AUTHORITY TO EXECUTE THE AGREEMENT IN THE AMOUNT OF $45,462.50, AND CHANGE ORDERS UP TO 10% OF THE CONTRACT AMOUNT.
WHEREAS, on May 28, 2002, the City Council approved and adopted the 2002/07 Capital Improvement Program for the City, of which the Second Street Parking Lot, CIP Project No. 336-336-3125, is a part; and
WHEREAS, the nature of the proposed use is a continuation of the existing use; and
WHEREAS, paving the lot reduces dust and the tracking of dirt and gravel onto Second Street; and
WHEREAS, paving the lot assures better utilization of the site and reduces downtown parking congestion; and
WHEREAS, the property’s current use as a gravel lot could continue indefinitely; and
WHEREAS, the Community Development Director has the authority to approve the Use Permit for this paving due to its benefit to the community, and the continuation of its current use; and
WHEREAS, The City received two (2) informal bid on November 1, 2002 and Antioch Paving Company, Inc., was determined to have provided the lowest, responsible base bid of $45,642.50, which was the basis for awarding the contract.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood, that the City shall award the construction contract to Antioch Paving Company, Inc., in the amount of $45,462.50 for the Second Street Parking Lot, CIP Project No. 336-336-3135.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the City Manager is granted the authority to execute the agreement and change orders up to 10% of the contract amount.
PASSED, APPROVED AND ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood at a regular meeting on the 12th day of November 2002 by the following vote:
SECOND STREET PARKING LOT
PROJECT NO. 336-3135
THIS AGREEMENT FOR CONSTRUCTION is made and entered into this 12th Day of November 2002, by and between the City of Brentwood (herein called City) and Antioch Paving Company, Inc., a California Corporation, located at 2540 Wilbur Avenue, Antioch, CA 94509 herein called Contractor.
The City and the Contractor agree as follows:
(1) CONTRACT SUM: The City agrees to pay, and the Contractor agrees to accept, in full payment for constructing the Project in strict accordance with the Contract Documents and performing all other requirements of the Contract Documents, the sum of Forty Five Thousand Four Hundred Sixty Two Dollars and Fifty Cents ($45,462.50) to be paid in accordance with the Contract Documents.
(2) COMPLIANCE WITH LAW: The City is a public agency. All provisions of law applicable to public contracts are a part of this contract to the same extent as though set forth herein and will be complied with by the Contractor.
(3) CONTRACT DOCUMENTS: The following Contract Documents relating to this Agreement are hereby made a part of and incorporated by reference into this Agreement: The Notice Inviting Bids, Invitation to Bid, Information for Bidders, Contract Proposal, Faithful Performance Bond, Labor and Materials Payment Bond, Contractor’s Certificate Regarding Worker’s Compensation, Certificate of Insurance and Endorsement (Worker’s Compensation), Certificate of Insurance and Endorsement (General Liability), General Conditions, Special Provisions, Plans and Specifications, Caltrans Standard Plans and Specifications, City of Brentwood Standard Plans and Specifications, Plans, and supplemental agreements, certifications, and endorsements applicable to this work, with all modifications incorporated in said documents prior to receipt of the Contract Proposals. Any work called for in one Contract Document not mentioned in another is to be performed and executed the same as if mentioned in all Contract Documents.
Contractors are required by law to be licensed and regulated by the Contractor’s State License Board, which has jurisdiction to investigate complaints against contractors if a complaint is filed within three years of the date of the alleged violation. Any questions concerning a contractor may be referred to the Registrar, Contractors’ State License Board, P.O. Box 26000, Sacramento, California 95826.
This Agreement is executed by the City upon approval by the City Council at their regular scheduled meeting of November 12, 2002, and the Contractor has caused this Agreement to be duly executed.
CITY OF BRENTWOOD ANTIOCH PAVING COMPANY, INC.
By: By: ________________________________
John E. Stevenson, City Manager (Authorized Representative of Contractor)
Dated: _________________________, 2002 Printed Name: _______________________
ATTEST: Title: ________________________________
(Attach Acknowledgment for Authorized
Representative of Contractor)
Karen Diaz, CMC
City Clerk Dated :________________________, 2002
APPROVED AS TO FORM:
Dennis Beougher, City Attorney
(Attach Acknowledgment for Authorized Representatives of Contractor)
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441