2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
| CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 22
Meeting Date: October 22, 2002
Subject/Title: Second reading and adoption of Ordinance No. 724 approving the Rezone (RZ 01-08) of approximately 46 acres from a combination of R-1-E and R-1-10 to PD-60 with the adoption of specific development standards for the project site, located generally at the southwest corner of Lone Tree Way and the future O'Hara Avenue extension
Submitted by: Community Development Department (Mitch Oshinsky, Community Development Director/Erik Nolthenius, Associate Planner)
Approved by: John Stevenson, City Manager
Waive the second reading and adopt Ordinance No. 724.
At its meeting on October 8, 2002, the City Council waived the first reading and introduced Ordinance No. 724, which approves a Rezone (RZ 01-08) of approximately 46 acres from a combination of R-1-E and R-1-10 to PD-60 with the adoption of specific development standards for the project site, located generally at the southwest corner of Lone Tree Way and the future O'Hara Avenue extension.
Adoption of this ordinance will enable the project site to be developed with a 99-lot subdivision.
A. City Council Ordinance No. 724 (for the approval of Rezone No. 01-08)
ORDINANCE NO. 724
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD APPROVING THE REZONE (RZ 01-08) OF APPROXIMATELY 46 ACRES FROM A COMBINATION OF R-1-E AND R-1-10 TO PD-60 WITH THE ADOPTION OF SPECIFIC DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS FOR THE PROJECT SITE, LOCATED GENERALLY AT THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF LONE TREE WAY AND THE FUTURE O'HARA AVENUE EXTENSION (APN'S 018-090-015, 017, AND 018).
WHEREAS, Highland Partners Group, Inc. and Kiper Development, Inc. have requested that the City approve a rezone from R-1-E and R-1-10 to PD-60 with the adoption of specific development standards to accommodate the development of Tentative Subdivision Map No. 8546, located generally at the southwest corner of Lone Tree Way and the future O'Hara Avenue extension; and
WHEREAS, on August 20, 2002, the Planning Commission conducted a duly noticed public hearing, considered public comments, and passed Resolution No. 02-52, which recommended approval of the rezone and specific development standards; and
WHEREAS, an Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration were prepared for this project in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and are considered a part of this review and approval process; and
WHEREAS, the Mitigated Negative Declaration identifies potentially significant environmental effects associated with the proposed project which can be feasibly mitigated or avoided and these project measures are included in the project conditions of approval and will reduce the impacts identified to a less than significant level; and
WHEREAS, the availability of said environmental document for the minimum 20-day public review and comment period was begun on July 5, 2002, and ended on July 24, 2002, and no comments were received during the review period; and
WHEREAS, a Notice of Public Hearing was distributed to all property owners of record within 300 feet of the project site and published in the Ledger-Dispatch on July 5, 2002, and again in the Contra Costa Times on August 31, 2002, in accordance with City policies and Government Code Section 65090; and
WHEREAS, the City Council held a public hearing on the proposed rezone and specific development standards on September 10, 2002, and again on October 8, 2002, for the purpose of reviewing the application, considering the Planning Commission's action and considering all comments made by the public with respect to the requests; and
WHEREAS, after the close of the public hearing, the City Council considered all public comments received both before and during the public hearing, the Planning Commission recommendation, the presentation by City Staff, the staff report, and all other pertinent goals, policies, regulations, and documents regarding the proposed rezone and specific development standards; and
WHEREAS, the City Council of the City of Brentwood hereby makes the following supporting findings for this application as required by Section 17.870.008 of the City Zoning Ordinance:
1. Specific development standards for the uses permitted under the General Plan and the approved Tentative Subdivision Map No. 8546 have been established; and
2. The development standards will result in development that is consistent and compatible with surrounding uses; and
3. The level of traffic to be generated can be accommodated by the public circulation system, both existing and planned; and
4. The project will serve the housing needs of the City and the region and will not create a detrimental imbalance between the public service needs of its residents and available fiscal and environmental resources (Government Code Section 65863.6); and
5. The proposed development will clearly result in a more desirable use of land and a better physical environment than would be possible under any single zone or combination of zones; and
6. The proposed Planned Development Zone is on property which has a suitable relationship to one or more thoroughfares, and said thoroughfares are adequate to carry any traffic generated by the development; and
7. The plan for the proposed development presents a unified and organized arrangement of buildings and service facilities which are appropriate in relation to adjacent or nearby properties; and
8. The natural and scenic qualities of the site are protected with adequate available public and private open spaces designated on the development plan; and
9. The development of the subject property, in the manner proposed by the applicants, will not be detrimental to the public welfare, will be in the best interests of the City and will be in keeping with the general intent and spirit of the Zoning Ordinance and with the City's Community Development Plan, including all relevant elements thereof, and with any applicable Specific Plan adopted by the City; and
10. The City Council has reviewed and approved the Mitigated Negative Declaration prepared for this project and orders the filing of the Notice of Determination with the County Clerk; and
11. Pursuant to Sections 15162 and 15168(c) of the CEQA Guidelines, the City Council finds that the project is within the scope of the development levels evaluated in the Program EIR prepared for the 1993 City of Brentwood General Plan. The Initial Study has further evaluated potential project-specific impacts to the environment. Based on this evidence and the Mitigated Negative Declaration, this City Council finds that the project will not have any significant environmental impacts that were not studied in the Program EIR. The Mitigated Negative Declaration applies all applicable mitigation measures to supplement and strengthen the Program EIR measures. Therefore, since the mitigation measures are incorporated as conditions to the approval of the project, the Mitigated Negative Declaration as well as the Program EIR for the 1993 General Plan are adequate for all approvals relating to the project; and
12. The City Council further finds that no significant new information within the meaning of Public Resources Code Section 21092.1 and CEQA Guidelines Section 15088.5 has been presented to the City that would necessitate re-circulation of the Mitigated Negative Declaration for public review. The City Council has considered all verbal and written comments relating to the Mitigated Negative Declaration and finds no significant new information has arisen.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Brentwood does hereby ordain as follows:
The project site, as shown on Attachment "A" to this Ordinance, is hereby rezoned from a combination of R-1-E and R-1-10 to PD-60 for single-family residential development.
Chapter 17.515 has hereby been added to the Brentwood Municipal Code for the purpose of regulating certain real property and establishing development standards for PD-60.
Chapter 17.515 is hereby known as Planned Development No. 60 Zone.
Development standards for PD-60 are hereby included as shown in Attachment "B" attached hereto and made a part of this Ordinance.
A. This Ordinance shall be published in accordance with applicable law, by one or more of the following methods:
1. Posting the entire Ordinance in at least three (3) public places in the City of Brentwood, within fifteen (15) days after its passage and adoption; or
2. Publishing the entire Ordinance at least once in the Ledger-Dispatch, a newspaper of general circulation published in the County of Contra Costa and circulated in the City of Brentwood, within fifteen (15) days after its passage and adoption; or
3. Publishing a summary of the Ordinance prepared by the City Attorney in the Ledger-Dispatch and posting a certified copy of the entire Ordinance in the Office of the City Clerk at least five (5) days prior to passage and adoption, along with the names of those City Council members voting for and against the Ordinance.
B. This Ordinance shall go into effect thirty (30) days after the date of its passage and adoption.
In accordance with Government Code Section 65863.5, upon the effective date of this Ordinance, a copy shall be delivered to the County Assessor.
THE FOREGOING ORDINANCE was introduced with the first reading waived at a regular meeting of the Brentwood City Council on the 8th day of October 2002, and adopted at a regular meeting of the Brentwood City Council on the 22nd day of October 2002, by the following vote:
Attachment "A" - PD-60 Zone
Attachment "B" - PD-60 development standards
ATTACHMENT "A" TO
CITY COUNCIL ORDINANCE NO. 724
MAP OF THE PD-60 ZONE
ATTACHMENT "B" TO
CITY COUNCIL ORDINANCE NO. 724
DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS FOR THE PD-60 ZONE
PD-60 (PLANNED DEVELOPMENT NO. 60) ZONE
HIGHLAND PARTNERS GROUP, INC. & KIPER DEVELOPMENT, INC. (TSM 8546)
17.485.08 AUTHORITY, PURPOSE, AND INTENT
17.485.09 PERMITTED USES
17.485.10 CONDITIONALLY PERMITTED USES
17.485.11 GENERAL DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS
17.485.008 AUTHORITY, PURPOSE, AND INTENT:
The authority, purpose, and intent for the adoption of the PD-60 (Planned Development No. 60) Zone, as shown on Attachment "A", are as follows:
A. Authority: The PD-60 Zone is adopted pursuant to the authority set forth in Chapter 17.450, Planned Development Zones, General Regulations, of the Brentwood Municipal Code.
B. Purpose: The purpose of the PD-60 Zone is to permit and regulate the orderly development of 46.64 acres located generally at the southwest corner of Lone Tree Way and the future O'Hara Avenue extension with very low and low density residential uses in accordance with the Brentwood General Plan.
C. Intent: The intent of creating the PD-60 Zone is to ensure the coordinated development of the entire property in order to minimize impacts on adjacent properties.
17.485.009 PERMITTED USES:
The following uses are permitted in the PD-60 Zone:
A. Those uses permitted under the R-1 Zone, Section 17.130.002.
17.485.010 CONDITIONALLY PERMITTED USES:
Upon obtaining a Conditional Use Permit pursuant to Chapter 17.830, the following uses are permitted:
A. Those uses permitted under the R-1 Zone, Section 17.130.003.
17.485.011 GENERAL DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS:
All permitted and conditionally permitted uses developed within the PD-60 Zone shall comply with the following regulations:
A. Minimum Lot Size: 10,000 square feet.
B. Minimum Lot Width: 80 feet.
C. Minimum Lot Depth: 100 feet.
D. Minimum Lot Frontage: 1/2 the required lot width.
E. Minimum Front Yard Setback: 20 feet.
F. Minimum Side Yard Setback: 10 feet
G. Minimum Rear Yard Setback: 20 feet
H. Architectural features may project into any required yard pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 17.660.
I. Maximum Building Height: 30 feet and 2 stories
J. Side Loading Garage: 10% of the lots shall have side-loading garages.
K. A minimum of 25% of the lots shall have single-story units.
L. 50% of the corner lots shall have single-story units.
M. Maximum Lot Coverage: 40%.
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441