2010 Council Goals and Strategic Plan | City
Council Members | Calendar
of Events | Elections
| CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 08
Meeting Date: September 10, 2002
Subject/Title: Compensation and Classification Description for Plan Check Engineer
Submitted by: Patti Standley, Human Resources Manager
Approved by: John Stevenson, City Manager
Adopt a Resolution to establish the compensation and classification description for Plan Check Engineer. The new classification title and description replaces the existing Plans Examiner description.
Staff completed a review of the scope of duties and responsibilities necessary to perform the work required in the Community Development Department, Building Division. The result of the review is an upgraded and revised classification description that clearly defines and reflects the duties and responsibilities that will be assigned to this position.
The attached Plan Check Engineer classification description, marked Exhibit A, is provided for your review and comment.
Staff conducted a salary survey of the survey cities established by the City Council through the adopted Classification/Compensation Study.
The fiscal impact of that results from the above recommendation is provided for in the approved 2002/03 Final Budget through salary savings.
CITY OF BRENTWOOD
PLAN CHECK ENGINEER
Class specifications are only intended to present a descriptive summary of the range of duties and responsibilities that are associated with specified positions. Therefore, specifications may not include all duties performed by individuals within a classification. In addition, specifications are intended to outline the minimum qualifications necessary for entry into the class and do not necessarily convey the qualifications of incumbents within the position.
Under direction, performs plans examination to insure compliance with building, zoning, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, housing, acceptable engineering practices, nationally recognized standards and related codes and regulations governing the construction, alteration, repair and use of buildings and structures; performs other related duties as required.
The Plan Check Engineer is the paraprofessional, journey level class in which incumbents are expected to perform the full scope of assigned duties with minimum supervision. Incumbents perform plan checking, technical fieldwork and investigation in the enforcement of a broad range of building and related codes. The work requires independence and discretion in both field inspections and plan examinations. This classification differs from the next higher classification of Chief Building Official in that the latter is responsible for overall management of the Building Services Division.
Receives direction from the Chief Building Official. Exercises functional and technical supervision over subordinate staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (include but are not limited to the following)
• Check complex plans and calculations to determine loading on roofs, walls, and floors, size and spacing of beams, rafters and joists, amount and size of reinforcing in concrete members, type of structural connections and adequacy of design to meet earthquake, wind load, material stress requirements and specifications for buildings and related construction involving installation, repair, replacement and alteration for compliance with applicable codes and regulations; prepares building, mechanical, plumbing and electrical permits; conducts field surveys and investigations of land use and site and/or environment issues; examines compliance with conditions of permit approvals before construction or alteration to determine compliance with regulations; inspects during construction for compliance with Uniform Codes (U.B.C., U.M.C., U.P.C. and N.E.C.) and municipal codes to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the public; issues certificates of occupancy.
• Interprets and monitors City rules, policies and procedures pertaining to zoning administration; explains and provides information to owners about building applications and permits; reviews applications for completeness and researches application and permit status; explains required inspections and construction requirements to owners, architects, engineers, contractors and the public; prepares and maintains records and files for monitoring deficiencies and status of compliance.
• Investigates complaints of unauthorized building construction work; writes responses to inquiries from the public, outside agencies and City Departments.
• Checks for code violations through field inspections and enforces compliance with City building, zoning, housing, subdivision and related codes; makes inspection of existing buildings to determine hazardous conditions; looks for construction or alterations being performed without proper building permits.
• Inspects the quality of materials and the methods of construction for footings and foundations, excavations, wood framing, concrete work, steel erection, lathing and plastering, tile work, masonry, electrical, plumbing and other construction work.
• Make field inspections and advise Building Inspectors regarding structural and other problems arising in the field.
• Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies and associations, City management and staff, and the public.
Position requires sitting, standing, walking on level and slippery surfaces, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, grasping, crawling and making repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties. The position also requires both near and far vision when inspecting work and operating assigned equipment, and acute hearing is required when providing phone and face-to-face service. The need to lift, carry, pull and push tools, supplies and other equipment weighing 25 pounds or more is also required. Additionally, the incumbent in this position works outdoors in all weather conditions including wet, hot and cold. The position entails working in situations that may expose the employee to fumes or airborne particles, electrical shock or mechanical hazards. The nature of the work also requires the incumbent to climb ladders, use power and noise producing tools and equipment, drive motorized vehicles, work in heavy vehicle traffic conditions and often work with constant interruptions.
QUALIFICATIONS: (The following are minimal qualifications necessary for entry into the classification)
Education and/or Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for a Plan Check Engineer. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is to possess two years of experience performing plan check reviews; structural engineering design work or architectural design work and a Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university with major coursework in civil engineering or architectural design work.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class C California driver’s license, at time of appointment. Must possess or obtain an I.C.B.O. Plans Examiner Certification within 12 months of appointment. Incumbents must possess both an I.C.B.O. Plans Examiner and Building Inspector certificate within one year of appointment. Certification in the State of California as a Professional Engineer or professional registration as an Architect in the State of California are highly desirable.
KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES/SKILLS: (The following are a representative sample of the KAS’s necessary to perform essential duties of the position)
Principles, practices and methods used in various land use and building construction areas, including plumbing, electrical and mechanical; applicable federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations including laws, ordinances and codes related to building construction and zoning; investigative principles and practices; public relations techniques and procedures; operational characteristics and use of standard equipment used in building inspection and the building trades; occupational hazards and standard safety procedures.
Apply policies, procedures, codes and regulations pertaining to building inspection; read and interpret complex plans and specifications; exercise sound independent judgment; interpret and apply applicable laws, codes and regulations; maintain I.C.B.O. certifications through continuing education programs; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Operate an office computer and a variety of word processing and software applications; safely and effectively operate tools and equipment used in building inspection and the building trades.
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD APPROVING THE COMPENSATION AND CLASSIFICATION DESCRIPTION FOR PLAN CHECK ENGINEER
REPLACING THE PLANS EXAMINER CLASSIFICATION
WHEREAS, staff conducted a review of the scope of duties and responsibilities currently included in the classification description for Plans Examiner, and,
WHEREAS, staff recommends upgrading and revising the classification description to better define and reflect the duties and responsibilities assigned to the classification, and,
WHEREAS, a classification description titled Plan Check Engineer has been developed and is attached as Exhibit A, and,
WHEREAS, staff recommends establishing the new classification description and based upon salary survey data staff recommends the salary range below:
Plan Check Engineer $59,490 - $72,324 annually
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED the City Council of the City of Brentwood approves the compensation and classification description for Plan Check Engineer in order to reflect current duties and responsibilities assigned to the classification.
PASSED, APPROVED AND ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood at a regular meeting held on September 10, 2002 by the following vote:
___________________________ Michael A. McPoland, Sr Mayor
Karen Diaz, CMC
City Clerk/Director of Administrative Services
City of Brentwood City Council
150 City Park Way
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5441