Brentwood City Hall


Our home pageContact UsPrevious Page

Central Park Gazebo

CITY COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM NO. 16




Meeting Date: May 28, 2002

Subject/Title: Passage of a resolution authorizing the submittal of a grant proposal to the California Department of Transportation Bicycle Facilities Unit for funding through the Bicycle Transportation Account

Submitted by: Finance: P. Ehler/ K. Wahl
Parks and Recreation: C. Bronzan/J. Hansen

Approved by: John Stevenson, City Manager


RECOMMENDATION 
Passage of a resolution authorizing the submittal of a grant proposal to the California Department of Transportation Bicycle Facilities Unit for funding through the Bicycle Transportation Account and authorizing the Parks and Recreation Director to execute and submit all documents which may be necessary.

PREVIOUS ACTION
None.

BACKGROUND
The Bicycle Transportation Account (BTA) provides State funds for city and county projects that improve safety and convenience for bicycle commuters. The program is consistent with the California Bicycle Transportation Act “…to establish a bicycle transportation system…designed and developed to achieve the functional commuting needs of the employee, student, business person, and shopper as the foremost consideration in route selection, to have the physical safety of the bicyclist and bicyclist’s property as a major planning component, and to have the capacity to accommodate bicyclists of all ages and skills.”

To be eligible for BTA funds, the City must have an adopted Bicycle Transportation Plan that complies with the eleven required elements stated in Section 891.2 of the Streets and Highways Code. The East Contra Costa County Bikeway Plan was developed in conjunction with the cities of Antioch, Oakley, Pittsburg and Contra Costa County and provides a blueprint for a bikeway network of both on- and off-street connections throughout East Contra Costa County. The Bikeway Plan was approved by the City of Brentwood on October 23, 2001, by the Contra Costa Transportation Authority on December 19, 2001, and by the California Department of Transportation Bicycle Facilities Unit on March 22, 2002.

The Parks and Recreation Department and the Bicycle Subcommittee recommend applications be submitted for the following projects:

1. Bicycle bridge crossing at the intersection of Heidorn Ranch Road (Old Sand Creek Road) with the Highway 4 Bypass to Sand Creek Road

2. Class I bicycle trail parallel to the Highway 4 Bypass from Sand Creek Road south to Balfour Road

FISCAL IMPACT
The estimated cost for these projects is $785,000. The Bicycle Transportation Account will fund 90% of the project cost and the City will be required to fund the remaining 10%. The matching funds will be allocated from developer fees in the CIP Trails Project (522-5212).

Attachment:
Resolution 

RESOLUTION NO.

A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF BRENTWOOD AUTHORIZING THE SUBMITTAL OF AN APPLICATION FOR GRANT FUNDS TO THE CALIFORNA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION BICYCLE FACILITIES UNIT BICYCLE TRANSPORTATION ACCOUNT.

WHEREAS, the State of California Legislature adopted the California Bicycle Transportation Act; and

WHEREAS, consistent with the California Bicycle Transportation Act, the Bicycle Transportation Account (BTA) provides State funds for city and county projects that improve safety and convenience for bicycle commuters; and

WHEREAS, the California Department of Transportation Bicycle Facilities Unit administers the Bicycle Transportation Account; and

WHEREAS, said procedures established by the California Department of Transportation Bicycle Facilities Unit require the Applicant’s Governing Body to certify by resolution the authorization to make application to the program and certify the availability of the required 10 percent local match; and

WHEREAS, the Applicant will enter into an agreement with the State of California for the Project.

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Brentwood hereby:
1. Approves the filing of an Application for local assistance funds California Department of Transportation Bicycle Transportation Account and
2. Certifies that the Applicant has or will have sufficient funds to provide the required 10 percent match and
3. Appoints the Parks and Recreation Director as agent to conduct all negotiations, execute and submit all documents including, but not limited to, Applications, agreements, payment requests and so on, which may be necessary for the completion of the Project.

PASSED, APPROVED AND ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Brentwood at a regular meeting held on the 28th day of May, 2002 by the following vote:

AYES: Councilmembers
NOES: 
ABSENT: 
_____________________________
Michael A. McPoland, Sr.
Mayor
ATTEST:

__________________________________
Karen Diaz, CMC
City Clerk