SPECIAL MEETING MINUTES
February 21, 2001 at 6:00 p.m.
Parks & Recreation Department Conference Room
740 Third Street
Brentwood, CA 94513
ROLL CALL and OPENING: The meeting
commenced at 7:10 p.m. Commissioners in attendance were, Cynthia Fredenberg,
Jessica Ordaz, Lacey Barry, Coree Brown, Maria Segura, Brian Fredenberg,
Adult Advisor Dave Lang, Parks and Recreation staff Poldina Scherff and
Absent: Commissioners Casey Billingsley, Ashley Brown (excused), Daisy
Hurtado and Stacie Del Chiaro.
Staff opened the meeting stating that the purpose of the meeting was to
continue the discussions of the survey where it was stopped at the last
meeting on the issue of violence. Dave Lang said he has a suggestion that
instead of going into great detail on each issue the Commission shrink
this down to one or two questions and then effectively put together a
survey that covers all the topics we identified at the training. This
would give the survey a chance of catching everyone’s interest, so that
they don’t lose some of the input needed.
Staff then led the group and passed out pads for each person to write
down at least one statement they would feel important under each topic.
She asked if everyone would then start with the Violence issue and focus
on this first. The final results are as follows:
1. Our school and community provide a safe and violence free environment.
2. Gangs are not a major concern for the youth in Brentwood.
3. Violence is major issue both in our schools and in our community.
PERSONAL IMAGE ISSUES:
1. Schools provide accessible resources to deal with personal issues.
1. Brentwood offers you a variety of fun activities during non-school
1. Brentwood offers job opportunities for teens during the summer.
1. The Brentwood Parks and Recreation Department offers a wide variety
of activities for your age group.
COMMUNICATION PERCEPTION SKILLS:
1. There is a positive interaction between people of different ethnic
2. Brentwood Police Department interacts with the youth of our community
in a positive manner.
3. School discipline is handled consistently with all students.
After a discussion of the order of the comment section it was decided
to switch as follows:
a. Strongly Agree
c. Not Sure
e Strongly Disagree
REQUEST FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: No requests for future agenda
ADJOURNMENT: Lacey Barry moved to adjourn the meeting at 7:53pm.
Coree Brown seconded. The next meeting will be March 5, 2001 at the Council
Betty Jo Whincup