Brentwood Advisory Neighborhood Committee
Minutes for January 11, 2012
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 6:05 p.m.
ROLL CALL: Johnny Staton, Steve Smith, Claudette Naturel-Staton, Cecilia Skuza, Rick Fuller, Karen Nunez, Silky Sahnan, Council Member Robert Brockman, and Staff Liaisons Barbie Gary and Michele Keady were present. Absent from the meeting were members Arthur Koski and Cheryl Nickerson.
CITIZEN COMMENT: None
1. Approve regular meeting minutes of November 9, 2011. Motion to approve the minutes made by Rick Fuller and seconded by Cecilia Skuza. Approved 7 - 0.
2. DISCUSSION ITEM: Feedback and discussion of the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony held on December 2, 2011. The function was found to be a great success with the following highlights noted:
• Quantity and quality of volunteers: very organized and enthusiastic and made the event operate smoothly. The suggestion was made that perhaps only 10-15 volunteers would be required for next year’s event.
• Opportunities for improvement: Additional performers, better organization of volunteers, immediate headcount of performers to assist with distributing the pizza dinner, and consider changing the scheduled format to light the tree earlier.
• It was also noted that the Parks and Recreation Department may have more involvement with the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in the future and asking BANC members to continue supporting the event
3. ACTION ITEM: Determine the committee’s interest in offering the 2012 Home of the Month program and if interested, determine format and approve a budget not to exceed $750 to purchase program supplies. After a lengthy discussion, the committee agreed to commit to the Home of the Month program for the months of April – October (eliminating Halloween) and Home of the Season for December. Motion to approve the format and a budget not to exceed $750 made by Johnny Staton and seconded by Cecilia Skuza. Motion approved 7-0.
4. DISCUSSION ITEM: Review Fiscal Year 2011/12 budget for BANC. Committee reviewed budget with no questions or concerns.
5. DISCUSSION ITEM: Discuss focus for BANC in 2012 in relation to BANC’s mission and goals and consider revisions to the current membership requirements. The committee discussed the Brentwood Advisory Neighborhood Committee Mission Statement and Membership Requirements and suggested changes for the commission to review and approve at the March BANC meeting.
6. ACTION ITEM: Nomination and selection of Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, and Public Relations Representative for 2012. The following selections were made:
Chair: Claudette Staton
Vice Chair: Karen Nunez
Treasurer: Steve Smith
Public Relations: Silky Sahnan
Assistant Public Relations: Johnny Staton
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS FROM COMMITTEE MEMBERS, SUBCOMMITTEES AND LIAISONS: Bob Brockman discussed the topics raised at the last council meeting including an update regarding the county fire stations.
STAFF COMMENTS: It was noted that the Chamber Office opening would be in February and Grand Opening in May.
REQUEST FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: Presentation by Alex Greenwood, Economic Development Department with the City.
ADJOURNMENT: Meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m. Motion made by Rick Fuller and seconded by Cecilia Skuza. Approved 7 - 0.