Brentwood Advisory Neighborhood Committee
Minutes for November 9, 2011
CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 6:05 p.m.
ROLL CALL: Steve Smith, Claudette Naturel-Staton, Rick Fuller, Karen Nunez, Johnny Staton, Alfredo Garcia, Arthur Koski and Tammy Lynn Misenheimer and Staff Liaison Barbie Gary were present. Absent from the meeting was member Silky Sahnan and Councilmember Bob Brockman and Staff Liaison Michele Keady.
CITIZEN COMMENTS: None
1. Approve regular meeting minutes of October 12, 2011. Motion to approve the minutes, with corrections, made by Rick Fuller and seconded by Cheryl Nickerson. Motion approved 10-0.
2. ACTION ITEM: Update regarding the annual Christmas Tree Lighting scheduled for December 2, 1011 at the Brentwood Senior Activity Center and prioritize how to use the $700.00 previously approved for event expenses. The committee reviewed progress made on assigned duties. Santa Claus has been secured and will be stationed on the stage inside the Senior Activity Center and will give candy canes to children who visit him. The singing groups have been working with Johnny Staton and include the East County Performing Arts Center, the Dainty Center, Bristow Middle School and Word of Life Church. Mr. Staton will coordinate the PA system and lighting, assisted by Steve Smith and Arthur Koski. Regarding drinks and cookies that would be available to participants, the committee decided to purchase enough cookies and hot chocolate to serve 400 guests. Assignments for the event were distributed as follows: preparing hot chocolate distributing pizza to singers, and kitchen duties: Rick Fuller and Cecilia Skuza; general set-up and working with volunteers: Claudette Natural-Staton; and cookie/drink booth: Karen Nunez. Approximately 20 student volunteers have been secured to further assist with all these duties. Staff Liaison will distribute a press release to the local newspapers, invite the mayor and City Council members and send out reminders via email as needed. Motion to approve the previously mentioned action plan and use of funds made by Claudette Natural-Staton and seconded by Rick Fuller. Motion approved 10-0.
3. DISCUSSION ITEM: Review BANC’s participation in Hometown Halloween and the Halloween Home of the Month winner presentation. Most BANC members assisted at the Hometown Halloween booth on October 22, 2011 and felt that the committee’s participation in the event should be continued in future years. Distributing the Christmas Tree Lighting flyer at the event is helpful, although more flyers will be needed (around 700) in the future. The glow-in-the-dark necklaces were very popular with the children that stopped by the booth. Regarding the Halloween Home of the Month presentation, only Steve Smith and Rick Fuller were available to make the presentation to the winning home on October 30, 2011.
4. DISCUSSION ITEM: Review Fiscal Year 2011/2012 budget for BANC. Item was tabled until the January 11, 2012 BANC meeting.
5. ACTION ITEM: Determine details related to offering the annual Home of the Season contest for the December Home of the Month award. The committee discussed their desire to offer the annual Home of the Season contest, encouraging Brentwood residents to decorate their homes festively for the holidays. Staff will email members as she receives online nominations for the December Home of the Month and encouraged members to also keep an eye out for homes decorated for the holidays. Nominations will be accepted until December 14, 2011. The group decided to individually view homes and then decide as a group which home would be selected as the 2011 winner. A holiday gift basket will be awarded to the winning homeowner on Monday, December 19, 2011. Motion to select December 14, 2011 as the deadline for nomination submittals with the presentation scheduled for December 19, 2011 made by Steve Smith. Motion seconded by Cecilia Skuza and approved 9-1 (Rick Fuller dissenting).
6. ACTION ITEM: Discuss and approve cancelling BANC meetings in December 2011 and February 2012. BANC members agreed that agendas for the months of December 2011 and February 2012 would be light and a motion to cancel both meetings was made by Steve Smith and seconded by Karen Nunez. Motion approved 10-0.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS FROM COMMITTEE MEMBERS, SUBCOMMITTEES AND LIAISONS: None
STAFF COMMENTS: None
REQUEST FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: Review the Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony, discuss the December Home of the Season contest, review BANC’s finances and nominate and select officers for 2012.
ADJOURNMENT: Meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.