CALL TO ORDER: Meeting called to order at 6:00 p.m.
ROLL CALL: Alfredo Garcia, Johnny Staton, Steve Smith, Claudette Naturel-Staton, Cecilia Skuza, Cheryl Nickerson, Valerie Smith, Council Member Brandon Richey, and Staff Liaisons Barbie Gary and Michele Keady.
AGENDA REVIEW: None
1. Approve regular meeting minutes of March 11, 2009. Motion to approve the minutes made by Steve Smith and seconded by Alfredo Garcia. Approved 7 -0.
2. DISCUSSION ITEM: Update from the City Wide Clean-Up Day subcommittee:
Subcommittee members brought up locations and ideas for clean-up day. BANC members discussed choice of location, type of clean up, and dates for clean up day. The choice of location should be up to the community to assure they buy into the program. The City website was chosen as the best way to ask the community for input regarding location. Staff will inform committee members if this is a viable option. At this time there is no set date for clean-up day, however, October seems to be the month chosen by the members. The subcommittee is researching options to make sure that this event has $0 fiscal impact to the City.
3. DISCUSSION ITEM: Update from the annual tree lighting event subcommittee:
BANC members approved unanimously the official name as the “Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony”. Sub-committee member, Johnny Staton, informed BANC members that the Chamber of Commerce was not interested in combining their Holiday Parade with the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony this year. The subcommittee asked staff if we could improve the sound system by using the City’s equipment. Staff will research. Ideas were brought up regarding the stage, advertising, inviting vendors to help raise funds, the use of volunteers, and the entertainment as well as choosing a food and drink sub committee. Due to the possible new City Hall construction, the limitations of the space were also discussed. Staff will keep the members informed regarding the space issue. The subcommittee will keep BANC members updated on a monthly basis.
4. ACTION ITEM: Approve purchase of decorations for the annual tree lighting event with total purchase not to exceed $300. Members unanimously agreed to purchasing new Christmas ornaments (no silver or gold) for the Christmas tree at total cost of $300.00. Motion made by Cheryl Nickerson and seconded by Steve Smith. Approved 6-0.
5. ACTION ITEM: Approve the date of June 10, 2009 for the Annual City Tour and approve funding not to exceed $150 for transportation and $75 to purchase dinner prior to the tour. The members discussed the option of not taking the tour this year due to having such a small membership. Staff will take an RSVP list until May 28, 2009 and if 20 members and guests reserved a spot on the bus, the tour would move forward and if not, the tour would be cancelled. Motion to approve made by Johnny Staton and seconded by Cheryl Nickerson. Approved 6-0.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS FROM COMMITTEE MEMBERS, SUBCOMMITTEES AND LIAISONS: Council Member Brandon Richey gave an update on the construction of the proposed new City Hall.
STAFF COMMENTS: Barbie Gary announced that the City of Brentwood Play Day was scheduled for June 19, 2009 at City Park and that staff is applying for the Playful City award. Michelle Keady announced a Safety and Neighborhood watch meeting on May 28 from 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM.
REQUEST FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: Update from City-Wide Clean-up Day subcommittee.
ADJOURNMENT: Meeting adjourned at 7:15 p.m.