REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
JUNE 19, 2013 AT 7:00 P.M.
150 CITY PARK WAY
BRENTWOOD, CA 94513
CALL TO ORDER: Vice Chair Bemel called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.
Present were Vice Chair Leslie Bemel and Commissioners Juan Castillo and Danny Senn. Chair Jack Gaughan was excused. Staff members present were Poldina Scherff, Recreation Manager and Elaine McGurk, Administrative Assistant II.
A.1 Council Member Steve Barr to swear in newly appointed Arts Commissioner, Brian Carleton. (Vice Mayor Bryant)
Council Member Steve Barr swore in newly appointed Arts Commission, Brian Carleton.
PUBLIC COMMENTS NONE
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS FROM COMMISSIONERS, SUBCOMMITTEES, LIAISONS AND STAFF
• Commissioner Senn reported back on the unveiling of the utility boxes completed by the Liberty High School Arts and Humanities Academy.
• The next year’s class project is a mosaic piece along the soundwall on Brentwood Blvd and 2nd Street.
B. CONSENT CALENDAR
B.1 Approve minutes of regular meeting of April 17, 2013.
Motion to approve the consent calendar.
Excused: 1 (Gaughan)
C. SCHEDULED MATTERS:
C.1 INFORMATIONAL: Arts Commission “Year at a Glance”. (Scherff)
Arts Commission “Year at a Glance” PowerPoint was reviewed and shown before the Commission.
C.2 INFORMATIONAL: Update on Granville Park stolen spiral monkey. (Scherff)
Poldina Scherff, Recreation Manager, gave an update regarding the stolen spiral monkey at Granville Park.
D. OLD BUSINESS:
D.1 VERBAL UPDATE: Balfour Road Public Art Project status. (Scherff)
Poldina Scherff gave an update on the Balfour Road Public Art Project.
D.2 DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEM: Continued discussion and action regarding public art project of silhouettes for the downtown. (Scherff)
The Commission discussed the public art project of silhouettes for the downtown.
Motion to approve the submittal of letter to Council regarding the silhouettes project and directing staff to bring back the priorities list of public art projects.
Excused: 1 (Gaughan)
E. COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
• He has received good feedback regarding this project and wondered if this could be a project for an artist to do throughout the city to beautify all city owned utility boxes that are closest to the any main street.
• He is concerned that the public really do not know what is going on in their neighborhood when it comes to public art projects. Poldina Scherff said the residents are typically notified of any additions to their neighborhood with a courtesy letter mailed to their homes.
• He asked about how we do a call for artists and whether we utilize the website café.com for our search. Poldina Scherff commented to say that we generally don’t use a nationwide database to search for our artists. We would like to seek out more local artists (Northern California) if possible.
F. STAFF COMMENTS
Poldina Scherff, Recreation Manager, said last Friday Concert in the Park was a huge success. An average of 1000 – 1500 enjoyed the park that evening. This coming Friday the band PhD will be playing. The concerts are held at City Park from 7 – 9 pm. Intermission is usually at 7:45 pm.
The current artwork on display will be coming down next week. New artwork will be going up the beginning of July.
G. REQUEST FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
I. COMMISSION REQUESTED ITEM(S)
• Priority list for the public art project.
• Layout of City owned public utility boxes.
II. NEW REQUEST(S)
Meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm.