Vision Statement: Adding Joy to People's Lives.
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
May 21, 2008 AT 7:00 P.M.
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
734 THIRD STREET
BRENTWOOD, CA 94513
CALL TO ORDER: Chairperson Greg Ruiz called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
ROLL CALL: Commissioners Present: Wanda Groseclose, Karen Halbe, and Greg Ruiz. Juan Castillo (excused)
PRESENTATIONS: Introduction of Eric Powell, Artist. Mr. Powell presented a PowerPoint presentation of his artwork. He also displayed his maquettes for Prewett Ranch subdivision.
CITIZEN COMMENTS: Ron Beatty: Ambassador for the Art Society. Ron Beatty stated that the Art Society has hired Peggy Schuitemaker’s production company and she is doing a great job planning the Art Wine and Jazz Festival. He then gave an overview of future meetings for the Volunteers for the Festival, a membership drive and the Writers Guild, and the first of three “Artwalks” in conjunction with the Farmers Market. He thanked the Commission for the re-appointment of Diane Lando as Poet Laureate.
Motion: Motion to approve the minutes of February 20, 2008
2. Approve recommendation to City Council for the re-appointment of Diane Lando as Poet Laureate
Motion: Motion to move Item #2 , to an Action Item.
Motion: To approve staff’s recommendation to re-appoint Diane Lando as Poet Laureate.
3. Action: Approve staff’s recommendation to City Council to allow Discovery Builders to pay out public art requirement of Prewett Ranch Subdivision.
Motion: To accept 125% pay out public art requirement of Prewett Ranch Subdivision.
4. Action: Discuss, approve, and recommend to City Council the plaque material for the Poetry Contest at Veteran’s Park.
Motion: Since Commissioner Karen Halbe had to abstain, the Commission was not able to vote. Direction was given to staff to obtain visual samples.
5. Action: Discuss, approve, and recommend to City Council replacement for the Duck sculpture at Veteran’s Park.
Motion: To accept the staff’s recommendation for the duck replacement and it’s relocation to the opposite side of the sidewalk.
6. Action: Election of Vice-Chair.
Motion: To approve the nomination of Wanda Groseclose for the position of Vice-Chair.
COMMISSIONER COMMENTS: NONE
REQUEST FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
Continue the discussion on purpose, goals, mission and vision of the Public Art Program.
Item 4 – Recommendation of plaque material for the Poetry Contest at Veteran’s Park.
of Brentwood Arts Commission
35 Oak Street,
Brentwood, CA 94513
Fax (925) 516-5445