REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
OCTOBER 20, 2010 AT 7:00 P.M.
101 B SAND CREEK ROAD
BRENTWOOD, CA 94513
CALL TO ORDER: Chair Castillo called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.
Present were Vice Chair Danny Senn and Commissioners Barbie Koncher and Donna Spencer. Chair Juan Castillo and Commissioner Wanda Groseclose were excused. Staff members present were Poldina Scherff, Recreation Manager and Elaine McGurk, Administrative Assistant II.
CITIZEN COMMENTS: NONE
1. Approve minutes of regular meeting of August 18, 2010.
• Item to be brought back at the next meeting.
2. Approve minutes of regular meeting of September 15, 2010
Motion to approve minutes of regular meeting of September 15, 2010.
Excused: 2 (Castillo and Groseclose)
3. DISCUSSION ITEM: Update on the workshop tour of City public art and discuss possible new locations. (P. Scherff)
Poldina Scherff, Recreation Manager, wanted to follow up with a few questions that were brought up during the tour of the City public art.
Poldina Scherff passed out a staff report that related to this public art piece. This staff report explains how this project came about and what the artist’s intent was for this piece. Unfortunately, at the time there was not enough money to finish off this project however there is enough funding to complete this now. In January, Roger Stromgren, Park/Maintenance Manager will come to a Commission meeting to give an update on this project and the maintenance of it. He will be open to any ideas that the Commission may have in terms of how to landscape around the art piece. This piece is not meant to be interactive therefore landscaping is projected to go around the piece.
It was explained that this piece put by the developer of Garin Ranch Center. The City maintains the Auger but that’s the only role the City has with this piece. Poldina Scherff said she can try to find out who owns this Center and also check on the ordinance in regards to signage.
The banners down the street are part of the overall art element that the City maintains. The will need to be replaced due to the wear and tear of the elements. Vice Chair Senn said some of the mirrors are worn and some of the tiles are missing from the mosaic bench but it still looks nice.
3 of the 4 corners will be utilized for future lanes therefore no art can be placed there.
Commissioner Koncher inquired about the Vineyard at Marsh Creek. Poldina Scherff said the art elements have been approved but Shea Homes will have to put them in.
Vice Chair Senn said it’s probably necessary to prioritize the various projects that need to be completed. Poldina said the Commission can focus on existing parks or facilities that are already done and may need a public art piece.
4. ACTION ITEM: Discuss and approve cancellation of the November 17, 2010 Arts Commission meeting. (P. Scherff)
Poldina Scherff said the next meeting will be held on the same night as the AB1234 Ethics Training Workshop. Two of the Commissioners will be attending this training workshop.
Motion to approve cancellation of the November 17, 2010 Arts Commission meeting.
Excused: 2 (Castillo, Groseclose)
Commissioners Spencer and Koncher will both reapply for the Arts Commission next year.
Poldina Scherff had two things:
1) She invited the Commission to the Downtown Brentwood Road to Revitalization Project Groundbreaking Ceremony on Friday, November 19, 2010 at 10am.
2) She reported back that the bronze decorative leaves on the public art elements at Veterans Park have been broken off. Three leaves were broken off and left on the ground. Unfortunately, Poldina has to review a month worth of video which is very dark and an arduous process. The good thing is parks maintenance staff have the ability to put the leaves back on and Bill Carmel is able to produce more leaves should there be a need for them.
Commissioner Spencer suggested having the paper write a little article about this incident.
REQUEST FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
Vice Chair Senn informed the Commission that there will be a quilt show at the Antioch Fair Ground this weekend. He was wondering if the Commission would be interested in having someone come to showcase their quilt work.
Chair Castillo adjourned the meeting at 7:34 pm.