REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
MARCH 20 2013 AT 7:00 P.M.
150 CITY PARK WAY
BRENTWOOD, CA 94513
CALL TO ORDER: Chair Gaughan called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m.
Present were Chair Jack Gaughan, and Commissioner Leslie Bemel and Danny Senn. Commissioner Juan Castillo was excused. Staff members present were Poldina Scherff, Recreation Manager and Elaine McGurk, Administrative Assistant II.
1. Approve minutes of regular meeting of October 17, 2012.
2. Approve minutes of regular meeting of January 16, 2013.
3. Approve minutes of regular meeting of February 20, 2013.
Motion to approve the consent calendar.
Excused: 1 (Castillo)
4. DISCUSSION ITEM: Interview six (6) artists for the Balfour Road Public Art project. (P. Scherff)
The following six artists presented their work before the Arts Commission. They introduced themselves and presented their works and qualifications.
- Bruce Chaban
- Susan Dannenfelser and Kirk Beck (Dannenbeck Studios)
- Mark Grieve and Ilana Spector
- Brian Keith
- Scott Runion (Urban Sculpture)
- Patricia Vader and Joe Bologna
5. ACTION ITEM: Select artists for the Balfour Road Public Art project to be recommended to City Council for approval. (P. Scherff)
The Arts Commission discussed which artists they would like to recommend for City Council’s approval and possibly have back to present their maquette.
Motion to approve the following artists to be recommended to City Council for approve: Bruce Chaban, Brian Keith, Scott Runion, and Patricia Vader and Joe Bologna.
Excused: 1 (Castillo)
6. DISCUSSION ITEM: Continued discussion regarding public art project of silhouettes for the downtown. (P. Scherff)
During this discussion regarding the downtown public art project, the Commission agreed to revisit the list of approved projects in other areas and decide which area they are most interested in.
Chair Gaughan said the Liberty High School Arts and Humanities Academy utility box public art project is going well. There is one they are working on by the gallery on 2nd Street. He had received a request by a resident who would like to see more utility boxes by her area painted.
Poldina Scherff, Recreation Manager gave the following updates:
a. Vice Chair Tim Bigelow has resigned.
b. Lunch with Bunny will take place Saturday, March 23, 2013. She invited the Commissioners to attend this special event.
c. Spring adult and youth softball will start this week. The recreation staff will be gearing up for summer activities in the upcoming months.
d. There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony for the utility box public art project soon. A new project by the next Senior class will also be announced soon.
e. The existing art work that is on display will come down next week. A new group of artwork will be up the following.
REQUEST FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEM - NONE
Chair Gaughn adjourned the meeting at 8:47 p.m.